Marissa Carter, Founder of leading tanning brand Cocoa Brown, shares the common tanning mistakes that people make and how best to avoid them & achieve a gorgeous glow with a flawless finish all year round:
1) Applying a tan which is too dark for your skin: Embrace your natural complexion by wearing a tan to suit your skin tone. The Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter 1 HOUR TAN MOUSSE comes in three shades to suit all, and can be developed for one, two, or three hours dependent on the depth of colour you wish to achieve.
2) Not using a tanning mitt: Tan stained hands is a huge giveaway that your tan may not be real, so using a good quality mitt is a must. You can also add a small amount of petroleum jelly through your eyebrows to prevent the tan from discolouring them too.
3) Forgetting to apply a moisturiser to typically dry areas: Use an oil-free moisturiser such as Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter Chocolate Whip Oil-Free Body Moisturiser on your feet, ankles, knees, elbows and hands to ensure a totally smooth application.
4) Over applying: Preparation is key! Many people forget to exfoliate before reapplying their tan which can lead to patchy skin and discoloration. Using the Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter TOUGH STUFF 3 in 1 Body Scrub 24 hours prior to application will prevent this.
5) Drinking or brushing your teeth after applying tan to the face: Let your tan dry before having a drink or brushing your teeth as accidental drips may wash away the colour. This also applies to tanning with wet hair!
6) Forgetting to enhance your tan: Products like the Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter Golden Goddess Shimmering Dry Body Oil will add an illuminating glow to your bronzed skin.
7) Staining your nails: Apply a coat of nail polish to your nails on your hands and feet, as this will prevent tan from staining the nail plate.
8) Exaggerating dark circles around your eyes: Again, a little bit of petroleum jelly will stop the tan from further darkening the area – no one likes panda eyes!
9) Wearing tight clothing immediately after tanning: Wear loose, dark clothing while the tan is developing and avoid contact with water as this will minimise any transfer.
10) Exfoliating too soon after tanning: The first time you shower after you’ve applied your tan, use shower gel but don’t exfoliate your skin.
Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter tanning products can be found at numerous UK stockists including Superdrug, TESCO and Primark.